Rigid core vinyl flooring is PVC floor planks that has a sturdy core.
It is an engineered vinyl floor that has an enhanced rigid core construction for dimensional stability. A rigid core vinyl will be a solid plank that has less pliability, giving it a sturdy feel to install and under foot. This floor has more wood feel than traditional vinyl floors.
Types of Rigid Core Vinyl Flooring
There are three types of rigid core flooring that you may come across in flooring shop. The most popular rigid core vinyls on the market are SPC vinyl, WPC vinyl and Hybrid vinyl. All these there types of vinyl floors can be advertised as rigid core because of their special characteristics.
- SPC vinyl flooring has a stone plastic composite core. The core is basically PVC polymer with some additives and calcium.
- WPC vinyl flooring has a wood plastic composite core. It has wood elements but not stone.
- Hybrid vinyl flooring is a vinyl floor that combines laminate and vinyl features.
Material Construction of Rigid Core Vinyl Flooring
Rigid core floors are similar on structure.
- Wear Layer – The wear layer is a transparent coating on the vinyl floor surface. This adds scratch and stain resistance. On top of the wear layer there are UV layer for further protection.
- Color Layer – Floor planks have a thin layer of color film for floor color exhibition.
- Rigid Core – The rigid core can be made of several different materials, such as WPC or SPC. This part is what will decide the stability and durability of this product.
- Attached Underlayment – Not all rigid core floors has underlayment layer but it is a popular options right now. An attached underlayment will give you extra cushion under your foot and absorb sound.
Benefits of Rigid Core
We have wrote about the advantages of spc flooring. Here we will write more about the benefits of using a rigid core for floor tiles.
Waterproof: Rigid core vinyls are 100% waterproof.
DIY Installation: Rigid core click vinyls are easy to install at home.
Comfort: A rigid core vinyl is going to feel more sturdy and cushioned under foot than a traditional vinyl.
Sound: With the dense core, these plank tends to have a quieter sound. You should not hear a hallow sound when you walk on a rigid core vinyl.
Affordability: Rigid core vinyl plank flooring is cheaper than laminate flooring.